Hume, Annette Ross | 1930
- Birth and Death Year | 1858-1933
- Induction Year | 1930
- Profession | Civic Leader
- Oklahoma Connection | Hume came to Oklahoma Territory in 1890.
- Hometown | Anadarko
Annette Hume was among America’s first female photographers. Over 700 of her glass plate negatives were painstakingly documented and became the central photographic collection of the University of Oklahoma’s Phillips Collection (now the Western History Collections) in 1927.
“She was truly a pioneer wife active in genealogical research and patriotic work.” - An editorial in the Anadarko Tribune, 1933
A native of Ohio, famed photographer Annette Hume first came to Oklahoma with her husband, Dr. Charles Hume, when he was appointed as a physician serving the Kiowa, Comanche, and Wichita Agency in Caddo County in 1890. Within the year, Mrs. Hume picked up her first camera and began taking detailed, powerfully historic photographs of her Native American friends and the area. When the Indian reservation was opened and the town of Anadarko was established in 1901, the Humes moved there to further establish the medical practice. Renowned for her work in establishing missionary societies for the Presbyterian Church throughout Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Mrs. Hume became the parliamentarian of the Oklahoma Territorial Federation and was elected president of the Oklahoma Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1913. At the time of her death, she was the historian for the Territorial Synodical Society.